Sunday, May 1, 2016

Introduction & The Day Before

Back in 2014, I had been watching NBC's Days of our Lives religiously for about four years. A previously lapsed viewer, I had been familiar with the show dating back to 1990, when I would watch with my grandmother in the afternoons before I started kindergarten, so the names Alice Horton, Bo Brady, Marlena Evans, and John Black were as familiar to me as my own family.

As I grew older, I began watching again as the saga of Kristen Blake and her descent into madness dragged me back to the screen day-in and day-out despite some pretty awful dialogue, and some pretty laughable moments (John Black donning virtual reality glasses to see a kidnapped Marlena locked in a cage in Paris? Yyyyeahh). After the climax to that story, I eventually lapsed, as high school began and my time became more consumed with other things.

Fast forward to 2014 again, I had witnessed the triumphant return of Kristen Blake, and her continued reign of terror over Salem. And the stories were stronger than they'd been in years. But I realized, something was missing. The stories weren't gripping me the way I had hoped. And this made me begin the project you will see here. The alternate timeline of Days of our Lives that sees this 50+ year-old show divert into a complex, mature show.

In the coming episodes, you will witness a lot of the familiar tropes of daytime soap operas. Domestic drama, pregnancy with dubious paternity, affairs, murder, and (presumed) deaths. But I will also be dealing with stories involving bisexuality, environmentalism, institutional racism, as well as rape, and the question of consent within relationships, dealing with violations of both men and women. I hope to bring a maturity to this series, as well as excite and educate.

For a reference point, my stories will begin with the events following the February 14, 2014 episode of the TV series. Thanks to the idiots at Sony, you can no longer view the episode to see where I left off. Highlights from the episode include Sonny proposing to Will, and Nicole hiding away the files that would implicate Kristen and Dr. Chyka for Eric's rape. (EDIT: The episode is currently available here, let's hope it stays up for awhile.)
Thanks for reading, and stay tuned for more Days of our Lives.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds great! I look forward to reading from the beginnning.

    ReplyDelete